John Holland Group
Everton Park, Queensland
Christopher Frederick Jones
With increased demand for services, Ramsay Health Care (RHC) expanded the North West Private Hospital (NWPH) on Brisbane’s northside to provide the hospital and surrounding community with a variety of additional services that will better meet their needs – now and into the future.
The design of the hospital expansion has focused on creating a new identity for NWPH, with façade materials selected to reduce the scale of the building while being sympathetic to the local context. Internally, the design presents bright, inviting spaces that are balanced with warm timber tones and textured carpet. Views out of the building have been maximised with increased windows to enhance the patient experience and assist with wayfinding.
To cater for the ongoing population boom and an ageing population on Brisbane’s northside, NWPH’s expansion includes:
• Four story ward tower with new front entry to the hospital
• Multi story carpark with capacity for over 200 cars
• Consulting suites housing 14 specialist suites and associated carparks
• Expansion of their existing Hospital Medical Records facilities
The four story ward tower in particular will give the hospital capacity for increased services to the community and the ability to treat more complex cases by providing:
• 64 new patient bedrooms
• New mother baby unit
• 2 new operating theatres, additional Procedure Room and Dermatology Room
• Additional Stage 2 and 3 recovery capacity
• New Intensive Care Unit
• New rehabilitation unit
• Hospital stores and kitchen expansion
• Expansion to Central Sterile Department and Loan Sets
The project was delivered through a staged process to ensure the hospital could remain operational with minimal impact to services and community.